Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Welcome to the World, Watson!


OK, time for the story of Watson. Everyone (including my doctors) thought he would come early, and fast. This would be why:
That's still 2 weeks before D-Day (Delivery Day)!!
 But my due date came and went (as did Aunt Shara, who had hoped to be here for the birth, but couldn't stay till the due date) and no baby. The day after my due date was a Saturday, thank goodness. We went to dinner at Sizzling Wok and the waitress recommended the Szechuan Chicken because it was known to put women into labor. I didn't. But about 15 minutes after we got home from dinner (7:20 pm), my water broke. Thank goodness. This was a good little heads-up that got me moving and out the door before the contractions were completely debilitating. I'll spare you the details, but I will say the experience was a bit crazy. My OBs had someone covering for them this weekend. (When he answered the phone as the on-call doc I literally said "I don't know who you are but I'm in labor and this baby is coming fast."). Because he wasn't as familiar with my pregnancy, he wasn't able to expedite things like they did for me with Larkin's delivery. So things at the hospital were a bit slow-moving until I got very dramatic and started begging everyone around me for the epidural. The nurses (who weren't labor and delivery nurses), the Hospital doc (who they grabbed at the last minute because my doc wasn't showing up OR answering his phone. He claimed to be delivery another baby... whatever.), and even the little med student Albert (who looked like he could be bullied into giving me the shot). They kept trying to pacify me until they finally admitted that there was an emergency ("what kind?" I asked. "A big one" they said...whatever.) and that both anesthesiologists weren't going to make it to give me the drugs. I decided to speed things up because I was a bit out of my mind in pain. So at 8:29 pm (yes, barely an hour after my water broke and about 29 minutes after we arrived at the hospital) Watson Link finally joined us.
And when they told me he weighed 9 lbs, I about freaked. Good thing I didn't know that BEFORE the natural delivery.

But we both survived it. It was quick and chaotic - I didn't have time to get into a hospital gown and they never even checked me in (sometimes I doubted that they knew what they were doing)- but it didn't matter because he was perfect.



He got to meet his Papaw and LaLa right away. They actually didn't make it in time to sit around and wait - they knocked on my door to get Phillip's keys as soon as they arrived at the hospital and by then I had the baby in my arms. We also FaceTimed Aunt Shara and Uncle Wes to make the big name announcement (which was met with a much better reception than Larkin).


The next day he got to spend time with Gramps and Grammy as well.


Plus quite a few other visitors over the course of the 1.5 day hospital stay. And they keep coming. Watson will be well-loved!

So now the big question: Who does he look like?

For comparison sake, here's Larkin at about the same time:


 Watson definitely has him on poundage and hair. Maybe if he had smaller cheeks he'd look more like his big brother? I don't see it though. I'm sure it will be discussed at length for the next 6 months so stay tuned.

Oh yeah, and my Dad called Sizzling Wok that night and told the waitress that she was correct. Apparently Chinese food does induce labor.

No comments:

Post a Comment