Monday, August 13, 2012

Meet Watson


Introducing the newest star of the TaylorMade Blog...
Watson Link Taylor

I don't have time to give you the full break-down of his arrival, so we'll start with the story of his name.
There isn't one.
This is hard for people to understand, I guess because our first kid is so obviously named after someone. So we've gotten lots of "Big Sherlock Holmes fans?" (No, not so much), or "It's all golf related!" (I had no idea there was a golfer with the last name Watson). But let's be serious... it's a common last name, so really we could've gotten it from anywhere.
The fact is, we had no idea what to name the kid, and about a month from the due date, I was starting to stress. So we each made a list of names we liked - about 10 each. Exactly NONE of the names on our lists matched. Zero. So together we combined the names into one list that we both liked. Watson came from Phillip's list, and he's not even sure where he picked it up. He came home from work with it written on a little piece of paper one day, and he admits that he probably saw it on ESPN.com in reference to a golfer. I don't think that means that he is named after the guy, just that Phillip liked the name. It was actually number three on our combined list, but it fit all of my criteria (I'm the picky one) and we were leaning towards it for a few days. Then we went out to a nice dinner one last time before the due date, without Larkin. We asked the waitress to help us out, and gave her our top 3 names. She picked Watson. So in reality, some teenage girl we'll never see again named our child(kidding). The middle name, Link, is my mom's maiden name. I never would've made the golf reference, but plenty of people do. So maybe when people ask, I'll start giving them the story of a famous Watson..
We love Harry Potter! Named after Emma Watson.
We watch Jeopardy every night. Named after the computer who plays against the real people.
Into molecular biology. Named after James Watson, who discovered the double helix DNA.
We talk on the phone a lot. Named after Thomas Watson, Alexander Graham Bell's assistant and the first words spoken over the telephone "Mr. Watson.."
It could be fun!

So there you have it. The story of Watson.


No comments:

Post a Comment