Welcome
Maris Lee Taylor
There's a new TaylorMade Baby in town!
And since it is everyone's first question (followed closely by "Who does she look like?"), we'll address the name.
When we found out we were having a girl, the big name debate was on. There was no secret that I was pulling for Philomena. What started out as a joke when I was pregnant with Larkin had turned into a real name possibility for me. NOT for Phillip. He was never thrilled with it, though I tried convincing him even after she was born. So Philomena was always on "our" list, and we had one other name that I remember discussing with Phillip and a Starbucks co-worker WAY back when I was at the Nashville mall store. The first one. This was way back. And it made it onto our list as well. After the ultrasound I did a lot of searching and we have a habit of looking at signs whenever we're out... anything that might bring inspiration. I believe one weekend at the lake I was doing my usual sign-watching and thought of the name Marina. Ick. Drop the "a"... Marine? Better leave that for Shara and Wes. Drop the "e"... Marin. That I liked. Phillip and I saw it pop up a few more times and so Marin/Maren/Maryn was officially on the list. But I had reservations about another "n" ending name. 3 kids that rhyme is a little too matchy-matchy for me. So I started mashing names together and switching endings... eventually Maris popped out and replaced Maren on the list.
When I ran it past Phillip, his first response was something along the lines of "Can we name her after a Cardinal?"
Huh?
My mind went directly to a member of the Catholic clergy... I don't know of any Cardinal Maris. But then Phillip said something about him being more of a Yankee, and that was the first time Roger Maris came to my mind. I'm sure it is the first thing most men think of (especially with a brother named Larkin), but it was not on my radar.
OK, fast forward to September 11th and I'm in labor. Nothing much else to do, so Phillip and I are discussing which of our 3 names we are going to pick. Then a praying mantis lands on the window outside of our room. I kid you not, I said "Look, it's a sign! Mantis sounds a lot like Maris!" Ugh. I was in labor. But hey, it tipped the scales a bit.
We waited until we saw her ("You'll know what to name her when you see her!" they say. Bull.) and waited some more. About 23 hours after she was born, 592 texts asking "named her yet?", and 1 hour before we were leaving the hospital, we just did it.
Named her after an insect.
Her middle name is Lee, after my dad's dad: Vernon Lee.
That gives all 3 kids an L middle name after one of their great-grandfathers. That's a nicer story than the insect one.
When I ran it past Phillip, his first response was something along the lines of "Can we name her after a Cardinal?"
Huh?
My mind went directly to a member of the Catholic clergy... I don't know of any Cardinal Maris. But then Phillip said something about him being more of a Yankee, and that was the first time Roger Maris came to my mind. I'm sure it is the first thing most men think of (especially with a brother named Larkin), but it was not on my radar.
OK, fast forward to September 11th and I'm in labor. Nothing much else to do, so Phillip and I are discussing which of our 3 names we are going to pick. Then a praying mantis lands on the window outside of our room. I kid you not, I said "Look, it's a sign! Mantis sounds a lot like Maris!" Ugh. I was in labor. But hey, it tipped the scales a bit.
We waited until we saw her ("You'll know what to name her when you see her!" they say. Bull.) and waited some more. About 23 hours after she was born, 592 texts asking "named her yet?", and 1 hour before we were leaving the hospital, we just did it.
Named her after an insect.
Her middle name is Lee, after my dad's dad: Vernon Lee.
That gives all 3 kids an L middle name after one of their great-grandfathers. That's a nicer story than the insect one.
No comments:
Post a Comment